ReadJunk Playlist: February 2010 (Valentine’s Day Edition)
Playlists | Feb 11th, 2010
ReadJunk.com is going to create playlists each month for you! Everyone loves a good mix tape, CD, playlist (whatever) but sometimes you just don’t know what to put on it. Well each month I’ll write up a good playlist to create for yourself or someone else. Each playlist will most likely be a theme, but sometimes I might just wing it and put a bunch of songs I like together. The music will range from ska to punk to folk rock to even more obscure stuff like TV themes. Whatever I feel like putting on the list basically.
Some of the themes this month include: Valentine’s Day, Love, break-ups, etc.. Let’s face it about Valentine’s Day, you either love it or hate it. I’ll try not to get too lovey dovey with the song choices, but I’ll throw in a few break-up/anti-love songs as well. You gotta mix things up! Ok here we go with the playlist of love, heart-break and all that other crap:
1. The Pogues – Love You Til The End
Spider sings a lovely tune, and a great way to start the playlist!
2. The Ramones – Baby I Love You
The Ramones have done a lot of love songs, but this cover of The Ronettes is perfect!
3. Madness – It Must Be Love
Can’t overlook this wonderful cover of Labi Siffre’s It Must Be Love song.
4. DeVotchKa – Last Beat of My Heart
This cover of Siouxsie and the Banshee is excellent. Makes me want to just sway back and forth.
5. Bob Marley – Is This Love?
You gotta have some Bob on a love playlist.
6. Nick Drake – Northern Sky
My favorite Nick Drake song and one that just makes me happy and zen out. I think it’s a wonderful song, I’m not sure if I would classify it as a love song though.
7. The Kooks – She Moves In Her Own Way
Still my favorite Kooks song.
8. Carbon Leaf – Another Man’s Woman
Not a healthy kind of love, but still…he fell in love with another man’s woman.
9. Pat Kelly – It’s You I Love
Rocksteady loving from Pat Kelly
10. The Ordinary Boys – Rudy’s In Love
A ska love song. Aww
11. Pepper Pots – Real Tru Love
The Supremes style ska soul band from Spain will make you want to groove with that special someone. Or get depressed that you don’t have someone special haha.
12. Bad Manners – Heavy Petting
“You make me shiver, you make my liver quiver, you’re a kinky girl”
13. The Rifles – She’s The Only One
Pretty self explanatory
14. Shane MacGowan and Maire Brennan – You’re The One
From the movie Circle of Friends, and its a beautiful song. It was also co-written with the late film composer Michael Kamen.
15. Tom Waits – Little Trip to Heaven (On the Wings of Your Love)
Closing Time is a perfect album from Waits. This song is a nice, sweet song.
16. Hank Williams – Baby We’re Really In Love
If I have to put a country song on this playlist, I’ll do one from Hank Williams.
17. Wanda Jackson – Funnel of Love
The country rockabilly queen Wanda Jackson’s Funnel of Love would make a nice transition from Hank Williams.
18. Walk Hard – Let’s Duet
A funny and sweet song from the comedy Walk Hard starring John C. Reilly. You get to hear some genius lines like “In my dreams you’re blowing me…Some kisses.”
19. Band of Horses – No One’s Gonna Love You
To me it sounds like the relationship is about to end, but he can’t help but still love that person anyway.
20. The Saw Doctors – Share The Darkness
Please share the darkness with me, because I’m kind of scared of the dark.
21. Great Big Sea – Fast As I Can
Dating someone, one day at a time. “What’s the hurry;” that’s what I get from this song. Of course I could be wrong and probably am.
22. Ray LaMontagne – You Are The Best Thing
Ray’s Joe Cocker sounding soul voice and the lyrics are perfect for a playlist like this.
23. The Cowsills – The Rain The Park And Other Things
It’s from the 60s, it was in Dumb and Dumber. What’s not to love?!
24. She & Him – I Was Made For You
A cutesy song from Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward.
25. Dennis Brown – Love Has Found Its Way
Gotta love Dennis Brown’s soulful reggae singing voice.
26. Morgan Heritage – Let’s Make Up
One of my favorite songs from Morgan Heritage. It’s sung well and it’s just a nice song about wanting to get back together.
27. The Aquabats – Lovers of Loving Love
Aquabats love song, nuff said!
28. Babylon Circus – Marions Nous Au Soleil
I have no idea what they are saying, only that the song title is “Let Us Marry Us In The Sun.” I knew I found a great wedding song to use! haha!
29. Reel Big Fish – I Want Your Girlfriend To Be My Girlfriend
This song is amusing.
30. Carlton and His Shoes – Love Me Forever
An excellent old ska song from Studio One.
31. Ken Boothe – Let’s Get It On
Sure, I could have done Marvin Gaye’s version of the song but figured this list could use some reggae and rocksteady.
32. The Porkers – Perfect Teeth
“You’re pretty, you got all your teeth” – redneck pick-up line. No seriously, this song is awesome from the ska band from Down Under.
33. Queen – You’re My Best Friend
For a best friend, significant other, whatever. It’s just an amazing song!
34. Sterephonics – Bright Red Star
A lovely song from Stereophonics’ Pull The Pin album
35. Alternate Routes – Ain’t No Secret
“I want to love you like it ain’t no secret!”
36. The Vandals – My Girlfriend’s Dead
Love song or not, this song is just too damn funny.
37. Gwar – Rock and Roll Never Felt So Good
Hope you have a sense of humor considering this song is about having sex with a quadriplegic.
38. The Queers – I Can’t Get Over You
A song about fucking up a relationship or obessing over a relationship that’s over? I’m sure I could have found a Queers song about love but I like this song a lot.
39. The Descendents – She Loves Me
She Loves Me, it’s just not in my head!
40. Barrington Levy – She’s Mine
“Everyday I love her just a little bit more…”
41. Hepcat – Together Someday
“But I know that we’ll be, together someday…”
42. The Cranberries – Linger
Not really a love song, but it’s a beautiful song nonetheless. This would clearly be in the heart broken category.
43. The Clancy Brothers – The Jolly Tinker
Well not a love song per say either, but hey, even the tinkers need to get some you know what I mean?
44. The Mahones – Will You Marry Me?
Great song from the Canadian Celtic punk band The Mahones!
45. Jack Johnson – Better Together
Relaxing and beach-y song that pretty much says things are just so much better when you’re together.
46. Planet Smashers – Super Orgy Porno Party
Nothing says Valentine’s Day like a big super orgy porno party!
47. Hard-Fi – Can’t Get Along (Without You)
Can’t Get Along Without You…Could mean about a girl or maybe someone else?
48. Jerry Fish and Mudbug Club – Back To Before
I honestly don’t know the exact interpretation of this song but it’s an excellent one that should be included on this list. Sweeping music, beautiful duet with Jerry Fish and Carol Keogh. I love it!
49. The Temper Trap – Sweet Disposition
One of the newest songs on the list; a song that was the highlight of the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack.
50. Mu330 – Stuff
Hey, some guys are just frank about getting into your pants.
51. Sgt. Scagnetti – Necromance
Some people just like to have sex with dead people. Too each their own is what I say!
52. The Travoltas – You Got What I Need
Holland’s The Travoltas have a few tunes about love and relationships but this one stands out the most.
53. The Buzzcocks – Ever Fallen In Love With Someone (you Shouldn’t’ve Fallen In Love With)?
Clearly a song about falling in love with someone you shouldn’t have fallen in love with in the first place. Stupid you!
54. The Push Stars – Claire
“I would die for you.”
55. English Beat – Doors Of Your Heart
A song about unity.
56. Vicious Rumours – Moose on the Loose
One of my all-time favorite punk songs! It’s about wanting to “goose” a girl while boozing and waking up to find out she’s quite the opposite on what you thought she looked like. An early song about beer goggles!
57. Bouncing Souls – Hopeless Romantic
Are you a hopeless romantic or just hopeless?
58. The Pioneers – Give or Take
You got to give or take with love and relationships. I guess?
59. Peter Gabriel – In Your Eyes
Raise your boombox…err iPod up in the air and blare your favorite song to your girl you care about…and quickly run when she calls the cops on you.
60. Infant Sorrow – Inside of You
What a way to end the playlist with Russell Brand’s song “Inside of You” from Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The song is both hilarious and awesome at the same time!
Any songs that I forgot that should have been on the list? Let me know and comment below!